Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Great-tailed Grackles


I have almost finished reviewing my 1,300+ images from our Texas trip and have loaded 350 new photos to my website. Now, there are some stories about these, I want to share.


Everywhere along the Rio Grande Valley and the Texas Coast, the Great-tailed Grackles were in their glory. The male of this species was in full breeding plumage, a blue/purple iridescence or lustrous and changing colors (definitely a kingly color). This particular male just held his ground next to the car as I approached. As a result, I captured his arrogance.

Photo taken at Laguna Nature Walk, TX on 3/22/2007
Everytime we sat down at our campsite at Lake Casa Blanca International State Park, Laredo, TX, a male grackle would come to proclaim that this site was his domain. He would stand on the picnic table, fluff all his feathers and send forth his song (loud ruckus) of high pitched notes. To finish his statement, he would puff up his throat and make a long, low growl of hisses, rattles and guttural noises. Then, he would repeat the entire sequence of song and display, even though no female or other male was in sight. So, I am sure this was meant to intimidate us.

Photo taken at Lake Casa Blanca International SP, TX on 3/8/2007

Other times we would see several males posturing as if to say "I am king of this mountain here!" or "Don't we sound like the 3 tenors!"


I think that these displays are performed to defend territory or impress a female grackle. She does not have his beautiful colors but when you see her by herself, she has nice browns.

Photo taken at Falcon SP, TX on 3/11/2007

At Galveston State Park, TX, a male grackle put on a display and song. He was only about 15 feet away from where I was sitting in my lawn chair. This time, however, his statement was meant for several females nearby and one male. The funny thing was, all the females ignored him the entire time. Maybe, they heard and saw him but these females kept right on looking for bugs. This is my interpretation of these pictures:

Photo taken at Galveston SP, TX on 3/30/2007 To a female: "Don't you like my new song?"

Photo taken at Galveston SP, TX on 3/30/2007 To a female: "Look at me, aren't I handsome!"

To another male: "I am better looking than you."

Photo taken at Galveston SP, TX on 3/30/2007To another male: "I am strong, regal and fierce." (This look intimidates me)

Photo taken at Galveston SP, TX on 3/30/2007 To both males and females: "Look at my tail, its the best!"

My husband and I sure enjoyed watching the Great-tailed Grackles and many times wished we had a video camera, so that we could capture their displays and songs (growls) on film to show you and, of course, to prove to you that these birds really do all these things.

The references and gear I used for this blog are:

Camera: Canon EOS 10D
Lens: Canon EF100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS USM
Steiner 10x42 Predator Binoculars
The SIBLEY Guide to Birds

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I live in Galveston, Texas. New here via Key West. My wife and I (mostly me) are very taken with the Grackles, especially the Great-Tail. Their song is so unique and the way the males display is so elegant. Humorous, are the reactions of some of the lighter-colored, but no less beautiful females to the dances of the males. Often they seem to look down their beaks at them as if to say "You're not all that!" and fly off, leaving the male deflated and dancing in circles alone. Glad to share this little ejoyment with someone who also finds their exploits interesting.

Jesi
Galveston, Tx

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.

Anonymous said...

First saw these guys in Bakersfield, CA visiting our in-laws. Impressed from the start, and surprises kept coming.
A few weeks ago they arrived here in Rancho! Walking: tail folded. Take off: fan tail horizontal, full flight: tail turns to vertical! (& Beechcraft did not invent the ruddevator!) Sounds: high pitched - quick: CREEI! CREEI! CREEI! CREEI! And an occasional HUUUUUUH! like a 2-second toot from a party horn! Diet: snails! (Yay!), seeds, grains, berries,(well...) and little birds and their eggs (ugh!) This year we'll find out if they eat plums or tomatoes!
Vern
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Memorial Day, 2009

Jessica said...

I LOVE THESE BIRDS!! My fiance and I call them "surly birds" b/c they have such a little attitude. I thought I was the only one who appreciated them :) Good to see there are others

Anonymous said...

We just got back from Galveston Island State Park (camping) and also LOVED these birds and took many pictures and fed the lots of them the whole time we were there! LOL
-Missouri