Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Think Green


It's March! and here in Michigan, I can start seeing green again. I am tired of the gray-brown trees, the blanket gray skies, the white - now dirty - snow, and the deep black pot holes in the road. Yesterday, I saw my first patch of dull green grass (GREEN!), St Patrick's day fun and green clothes comes mid-month, but, the first leaves on the trees are still more than 2 months away in Michigan. So, soon I will be on the road again, south to Texas, to escape the last cold windy efforts of old man winter and to see the first spring green things in Texas. That way I get to experience spring twice, first in April in Texas and then at home in Michigan in May.

The first color I want to see is green: green leaves, green grass, green plants, green birds. Green birds you ask? Yes, and red, yellow, blue, purple, all the colors of the rainbow too. What green birds? Most hummingbirds have green plumage but it is surprising how many ducks have some brilliant green feathers. When I see these ducks, I always try to capture the light shining so that those green feathers are highlighted.


Photo taken at Patagonia SP, TX on 3/22/2005

Photo taken at Port Aransas Wetland, TX on 4/3/2006

Photo taken at Murray Lake, MI on 8/14/2002

Photo taken at Port Aransas Wetland, TX on 4/3/2006

Photo taken at Seney NWR, MI on 9/27/2002

Photo taken at Bay City State Recreation Area/Tobico Marsh, MI on 10/11/2003
Think Spring! Think Green!


The references and gear I used for this blog are:
Camera: Canon EOS 10D
Lens: Canon EF100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS USM
Steiner 10x42 Predator Binoculars
The SIBLEY Guide to Birds

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Texas is a great place to be if you are a Midwestern birder! Have a WONDERFUL time!

Good birding to you and great post and wonderful duck photos!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Wanted to email you, but could not locate your email address on the blog. We have 2 cool widgets ( a slideshow widget and a content widget) which can help enhance site interaction and reader's experience. Please contact me at ashishbaldua3@gmail.com to know more.

Thanks
Ashish Baldua