Monday, October 6, 2008

From Green to Colors

Wow! I can't believe it is already October and its more than two months since I last published anything in my "green" series. Funny, I am not thinking about green, now, as the summer days are gone! Rather, I am watching the fall colors and doing fall activities: eating orange peaches and yellow pears, blue plums; watching my green tomatoes ripen to orange and then red; picking red raspberries and eating the first red apples of the season. Some maples are showing orange and red; the arrowhead and pickerel weeds in the lake are turning orange and brown; in the fields, soy beans and corn are turning yellow and brown; yellow goldenrod is blooming everywhere; purple New England asters are growing along the roadsides and the skies are bright blue on a cool fall day.

Even on my trip this spring, green was not the only color I noticed....

After visiting Big Bend NP, we drove east to Lake Amistad NRA. Here it rained for 2 days. The result was that the ocotillo actually sprouted leaves in just a few days. Even when I am not in Texas, I am fascinated by this plant. I hope you will put the flower as wall paper on your computer for awhile.

Photo taken at Seminole Canyon SP, TX on 3/31/2008Ocotillo - Fouquieria splendens (Ocotillo Family - Fouquieriaceae)

Photo taken at Seminole Canyon SP, TX on 3/31/2008
Photo taken at Seminole Canyon SP, TX on 3/31/2008
Photo taken at Big Bend Ranch SP, TX on 3/27/2008
Free wallpaper (desktop background) for personal use
Click on above picture, then on next picture right-click and set as background

If you are looking for color, you can usually find it everywhere. I always enjoy lichen on rocks.

Photo taken at Big Bend NP, TX on 3/19/2008
Photo taken at Big Bend NP, TX on 3/19/2008
Photo taken at Big Bend NP, TX on 3/19/2008
Photo taken at Big Bend NP, TX on 3/19/2008Dead Tree

Photo taken at Big Bend NP, TX on 3/21/2008Oak Tree blossoms

Photo taken at Lost Maples SP, TX on 4/7/2008Canadian Bigtooth Maple



All images © MSCI

No comments: