Monday, June 6, 2011

Texas Dragonflies or Odonata

We are back from our winter/spring vacation to Texas with 4,635 miles on the truck, 5,426 clicks with the camera and 41 days on the road in the sun and warmth. Maybe I should say heat since many days were over 90°. But I am not complaining since I wasn't cold!

Sometimes I can't decide whether I am a birder who takes pictures or a photographer who shoots bird photos and .... butterflies, dragonflies, damselflies, bugs, animals, reptiles, flowers, whatever catches my eye.

I have started to sort my photos and I photographed 11 new species of dragonflies and damselflies. I can't believe their colors and beauty.

Photo taken at Big Bend NP, TX on 4/3/2011

Roseate Skimmer (Male) - Orthemis discolor

Photo taken at Lake Mineral Wells SP, TX on 4/14/2011

Common Whitetail (Male) - Plathemis lydia

Photo taken at Lake Mineral Wells SP, TX on 4/14/2011

Common Whitetail (Female) - Plathemis lydia

Photo taken at Murray Lake, MI on 7/5/2009

Eastern Pondhawk (Male) - Erythemis simplicicollis

Photo taken at Choke Canyon SP, TX on 3/23/2011

Eastern Pondhawk (Female) - Erythemis simplicicollis

No comments: