Thursday, September 15, 2011

Reptiles - Turtles

For years, I have been taking pictures of turtles that come up out of the lake onto the lawn and garden to lay their eggs. I have not done anything with the identification of these images. Most of these images were clicks in passing, where I did not put much effort in getting a good image of the turtle.

But now I have this field guide from the library with Frogs, Turtles, Lizards, Snakes, etc. It really is quite good. The pictures do not show all the species or sub-species but the text is excellent. I will have to try to find a copy to add to my own reference library.
National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Reptiles and Amphibians

I also found this website that helps you with identifying your turtle with key criteria and pictures.
Turtle Identification

All of my good images are from Michigan but we see turtles everywhere we travel. I will have to pay more attention to them now.

Photo taken at Murray Lake, MI on 6/16/2002

Blanding's Turtle - Emydoidea blandingi

Photo taken at Murray Lake, MI on 6/8/2002

Spiny Softshell Turtle - Trionyx spiniferus

Photo taken at Murray Lake, MI on 9/18/2004

Common Map Turtle - Graptemys geographica

Photo taken at Murray Lake, MI on 6/20/2010

Painted Turtle - Chrysemys picta

No comments: