Sunday, March 18, 2007

On The Road

I am on the road again, heading south as fast as my old RV will go. Even though I have travelled some of these interstates many times, there is always something different or new to see. I like best to watch for birds and make a list for each state through which I travel. (yes, I am a lister)

Birds are hard to identify while traveling at 60 miles per hour. Rest areas and re-fueling stops (food or gas) are the hot birding spots but surprises do happen.

Just a few miles from home at a gas stop, some Horned Larks searched the snow covered field for food. I checked The SIBLEY Guide to Birds and saw that the larks are at their northern edge of their winter range.

Photo taken at San Rafael Valley, AZ on 3/19/2004

(Photo by John of a lark without snow)

My second surprise was a Red-shouldered Hawk at a rest stop in northern Indiana. This bird, too, is at the northern edge of its winter range. (I have learned a new birding detail)

Photo taken at Woodward Reservoir, CA on 10/23/2004

As I travelled south, I can't wait for signs of spring. Sure enough, at my first rest area in Illinois (there are so many), there was a flock of American Robins and Cedar Waxwings eating crabapples, probably not their favorite fruit but good in late winter.

Photo taken at Murray Lake, MI on 5/26/2002


Photo taken at Murray Lake, MI on 6/30/2002

Its good to be on the road again and birding along the way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

another Michigan birding blog, yay! Happy to have found your writings/photos .. will definitely be back again soon, wonderful images and like you, I often travel down the same road twice.. or more ;)
enjoy the season,
Cindy

nbajema said...

Saw my first Robin in Lowell, MI today...thankfully, we no longer have to drive south to see signs of spring.