Saturday, March 24, 2007

Oranges and Orange

I started birding and sight-seeing in south Texas. I see my first roadside citrus stand (ORANGES for sale!) outside Laredo and stop for a 10lb bag of oranges. A daily dose of 2 fresh squeezed oranges (tree ripened orange color not dyed) is one reason why I go south to Texas.

As I move south along the Rio Grande valley, I am amazed at the blooming shrub with light orange-yellow flower stems and learn that this is Black brush or Catclaw, an acacia shrub.

Photo taken at Zapata, TX on 3/11/2007

It's everywhere, in full bloom, at Falcon State Park.

Photo taken at Falcon SP, TX on 3/13/2007 The first evening at the park I see an Altamira Oriole at another camper's site. So, I sacrifice one of my precious oranges to attract the oriole to my campsite. (sacrifice = fortfeiture of something highly valued for the sake of one considered to have a greater value.)

I was rewarded with visits.

Photo taken at Falcon SP, TX on 3/13/2007An Altamira Oriole found my orange in the early morning gray mist.

Photo taken at Falcon SP, TX on 3/13/2007The Altamira Oriole came back in the late afternoon sunlight and he (yes, this is a male) is so orange.

Photo taken at Hwy 86, AZ on 3/29/2005Also a visit by a pair of Hooded Orioles. The male (no photo, sorry) was even a deeper orange color than the Altamira male.

Photo taken at Falcon SP, TX on 3/13/2007A flock of Cedar Waxwings look orange late in the setting sun. I am glad Texas offers many kinds of doses of orange.

1 comment:

nbajema said...

Mom - I love the orange Oriole (my apologies to birders everywhere, I do not share my mom's knowledge of birds) in the tree in the morning mist. The color contrasts are fantastic.