Friday, April 20, 2007

Orange to Reds

I am home from my Texas trip and have been reviewing my images. (1,300+ in-focus)

I have never seen so many wildflowers along Texas roads and in the parks as this spring. I heard some people complaining that there was lots of rain this winter. (good for flowers and me)

I have finished squeezing my oranges (48 lbs) and will show you doses of orange to reds, blues, yellows, whites, pinks, purples. The colors of the flowers made me want to stop every moment for another picture to try to capture the fields of paintbrush, which appear orange from a distance; the gorgeous red of the heartleaf hibiscus; the shape of the coral bean, and to gather and play with its beans; interesting fruit of the cactus, and to pick and eat them like strawberries.


Photo taken at Aransas NWR, TX on 3/27/2007

Yellow Flax - Linum rigidum (Flax Family - Linaceae)

Photo taken at Galveston SP, TX on 3/29/2007

Indian Blanket - Gaillardia pulchella (Aster Family - Asteraceae)

Photo taken at Hwy 77 Picnic Area, TX on 3/25/2007

Texas Paintbrush - Castilleja indivisa (Figwort Family - Scrophulariaceae)

Photo taken at Goose Island SP, TX on 3/27/2007

Coral Bean - Erythrina herbacea (Legume Family - Leguminosae)

Photo taken at Galveston SP, TX on 3/29/2007

Coral Bean seed pods - Erythrina herbacea (Legume Family - Leguminosae)

Photo taken at Falcon SP, TX on 3/13/2007

Heartleaf Hibiscus - Hibiscus martianus (Mallow Family - Malvaceae)

Photo taken at Falcon SP, TX on 3/13/2007

Free wallpaper for personal use
Click on above picture, then on next picture right-click and set as background

Heartleaf Hibiscus bud - Hibiscus martianus (Mallow Family - Malvaceae)

Photo taken at Falcon SP, TX on 3/11/2007

Christmas Cactus fruit - Opuntia leptocaulis (Cactus Family - Cactaceae)


Since I had 6 years of Latin in highschool and college, I really should use it! (I do think this study has always helped me in reading)

The references I used for this post are:
Texas Wildflowers by Campbell and Lynn Loughmiller
Peterson Field Guides: Southwestern and Texas Wildflowers
Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center
Native Plants of South Texas

Stay tuned for doses of whites soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mom,
I love the flower pictures, especially the Indian blanket. Do you have others like this one? I'd like to do a painting of this flower. NEB